Frequently Asked Questions about Oregon hazelnuts and our store
Q: Your website doesn't allow for multiple shipping addresses, is there a way to make it easier?
A: You're right; our website only accepts one shipping address at a time which is frustrating if you want to send to multiple addresses. A simpler solution is to e-mail your order indicating names, addresses, items you want to send and what you want to say on the gift card. Include YOUR phone number and we will calculate costs and call you for credit card information. Please do not send your credit card information over regular e-mail for it is not safe. Our e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: Is there a difference between hazelnuts and filberts?
A: They are interchangeable names. In 1994 the Nut Growers Society got together and voted to call them hazelnuts (in keeping with the common name in Europe and back east). My favorite story is: they are called filberts when they are growing on the tree, then when they are being sold they are called hazelnuts!
Q: What is the difference between Natural Hazelnuts & Dry Roasted Hazelnuts?
A: Natural hazelnuts are cleaned, dried, out-of-the-shell and the skin is still intact so they tend to have a more woody fibrous taste. This is a great combination for snacking, to use on salads and in vegetable dishes. Dry roasted hazelnuts is our next step where they are placed in a fluid-bed, roasted, lifted in the air (like a hot air popcorn popper) and heated to the exact temperature to bring out the fullest flavor of the hazelnuts. Since they are lifted, most of the skins shed. This is a great combination for snacking, to use in cooking, with chocolate or desserts on top of ice cream. Which hazelnuts taste better? Let your taste buds decide!
Q: What is the recommended method for storing hazelnuts & seeds?
A: Hazelnuts and seeds do have natural oil and you do not want that to go rancid. To keep hazelnuts and seeds as fresh as possible, store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to six months or up to a year in the freezer.
Q: What do the percentages on packages of chocolate mean (35%, 52% 65% cacao)?
A. The higher percentage on the package, the more chocolate there is in the product. When you see a number such as 65% cacao on chocolate, this means that 65% comes from the cocoa bean as chocolate liquor and added cocoa butter. The remaining 35% is mainly sugar.
Q: Is the chocolate you use considered "Fair Trade"?
A: Yes. We use Guittard quality chocolate and they are Fair Trade certified. Fair Trade ensures that cocoa farmers receive a fair price for their harvest. On Fair Trade farms, slave labor is strictly prohibited. Fair Trade cocoa beans aren't "faceless" cocoa beans bought on an international exchange, but beans that can be traced back to an individual cooperative or farmer.
If you have more questions or need additional information about Oregon hazelnuts, filberts, Fair Trade or any of the above Frequently Asked Questions, you can contact us at 541-754-5657 or e-mail email@example.com